Happy New Year! We wanted to take this opportunity to review 2020, and to invite you to visit our website, www.silvercreekathleticassociation.com and our social media sites - Facebook Twitter and LinkedIn.
In 2020, SCAA hosted, sponsored and supported 10 different teams playing in 5 different leagues. Our facility hosted 192 home games and our teams played in at least an equal number of away games at facilities as far north as Upper Mount Bethel and as far south as Springtown. The total number of home games is up from 177 in 2019, but the number of teams and leagues is down.
Silver Creek continues to work to identify both league and recruitment opportunities to bring more games to Springtown and to our families. In 2020, Silver Creek A.A. fielded Rookies, Minors, Majors and Teener Baseball teams at a time when no other Palisades-based organization did. The cancellation of the Penn-Jersey Spring Season provided us the opportunity to work with District 20 Little League, and Eastern Lehigh Valley Softball to deliver Baseball and Softball to U12 players in the Palisades area.
Cooperating with the Riegelsville Recreation Board and using SC#3 and the newly restored SC#4, 80 Eastern Lehigh Valley Softball Games were played. Additionally, Elite Championship Tournament Baseball and multiple Softball Tournament Teams rented our facility. Silver Creek #1 was also selected as a playing location for St. Luke’s Lehigh Valley Baseball Tournament.
Picnic Grove Rentals were booked beginning in May and running through October. Many of our longstanding customers such as Springtown Rod and Gun Club, Portuguese American Club and the Gasket Goons were forced to cancel their events due to COVID-19 and the associated Pennsylvania Restrictions.
COVID-19 not only delayed the start of any Spring season, but it also meant many of our coaches and volunteers took advantage of quarantine to complete multiple projects throughout the facility.
Improvements to the facility that were completed or begun in 2020 include:
- Restoration of Field #4’s Infield skin and foundation
- Painting of the Silver Creek Flagpole
- Painting Field #2’s Dugouts, Snack Stand and Bleachers
- New stone and surface of Field #2 Home and Away On Deck Areas
- Construction of a 60’ Backstop Wall Below our 26’ Net Backstop
- Landscaping and Mulch for Backstop and Playground
- Replacement and Reconfiguring of Fencing between Backstop and Dugouts
- Purchase of 15 4' by 4' pads identifying the facility for SC#1 Backstop
- Red Stone spread throughout Snack Stand #1 and Dugout Areas
- Painting Field #3’s Benches and Bleachers
- Trimming and Removal of Diseased Ash Trees throughout the Picnic Grove
- Purchase of a New Portable Public Address/Radio System
A $2.200.00 unbudgeted expense was incurred for the removal of 2 Emerald Ash Bore infected trees behind the Picnic Grove Kitchen and the Cell Tower Enclosure. Both Trees required a Bucket Truck from Dave’s Services LLC, owned by Dave Gerstenberg. His fee was very generous compared to all other quotes that we obtained. Dave was also kind enough to donate the tent used during the Cornhole Tournament. There are at least four more EAB infected trees to remove that threaten pavilions and the stage. And more throughout the property that will be easier to remove.
2021’s Major Volunteer and Development Events and Available Volunteer Shifts are:
- Second Annual Spring Cornhole Tournament is Saturday, May 15th, 2021
Saturday, May 15th 2:00 pm-6:00 pm
- 19th Annual Father’s Day Car Show is Sunday, June 20th, 2021
- NE Regional Shelby American Automobile Club, Sunday, September 26th 2021
Projects Under consideration for 2021 pending finances and volunteers:
- Prioritize Additional Ash Trees to be removed throughout the property
- Paving Bypass of the speedbump entrance to improve Car Show Traffic
- New Roof for the Silver Creek Garage Built in 1972
- 2 New ½ Horsepower Garage Door Openers
- Right Hand Retaining Wall of the SC#1 Snack Stand
- Wood Trim for Field #1’s Home and Away Dugouts
- Replacement of 340’ of bleachers on SC #1’s Grandstand and Rear Framing
- Painting of Grandstand, Sponsor Positions, Concrete and High Fence
- Red Stone for Space between Grandstand and High Fence on SC #1
- 6 Vinyl Windows for Picnic Grove Restrooms, 2 Vinyl Windows for Snack Stands
- Maintaining/Replacing 2000 John Deere 445 and 2000 John Deere Gator
SCAA meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Thank you to everyone for your hard work to make “a place for the kids and for all our families” the unique experience that is Silver Creek.
SCAA Officers, Trustees and Coaches
Silver Creek Athletic Association
2943 Route 212 GPS: Please use Hellertown, PA 18055
P.O. Box 165 firstname.lastname@example.org
Springtown, PA 18081 www.silvercreekathleticassociation.com