Dear SCAA Community Member,
Happy New Year-6 weeks in! We wanted to take this opportunity to review 2021, and to invite you to visit the facility-we have a lot to share with you and much of it needs to be seen to be fully appreciated.
In 2021, SCAA hosted, sponsored and supported 10 different teams playing in 5 different leagues. Our facility hosted 138 home games and our teams played in at least an equal number of away games at facilities as far north as Upper Mount Bethel and as far south as Springtown. The total number of home games and teams is down from 192 in 2020. The decrease is largely due to our client teams being able to return to their own facilities due to easing COVID 19 restrictions.
On July 28, 2021, James “Jim” L. Balliet passed from this Earth. On September 25, 2021, Jim was joined in death by his younger brother, Glenn L. Balliet. Also, on September 25th, seven baseball and softball games were played at Silver Creek, and the access road through the property was dedicated and signed as Balliet Way. Glenn went to his reward knowing that his and Jim’s family name would now greet all players entering our facility-players and families from the Poconos, New Jersey, the Lehigh Valley, Bucks and Montgomery Counties.
Silver Creek is always working to identify both league and recruitment opportunities to bring more games to Springtown and to our families. In 2021, Silver Creek A.A. fielded 2 Majors and 1 Minors team in the Greater Easton Area Baseball League (GEABL). Our Rookies and Co-Ed Tee Ball teams continued to compete in the local league, PAYB-the successor to Penn-Jersey. Our Fall Baseball Opportunities have grown and our Teener, Majors, Minors and Rookies programs played in District 20 Little League and GEABL through October.
In September, Gasket Goons returned to Silver Creek after canceling their event in 2020. It was a very successful and busy day that highlighted the need for multiple improvements for spectator parking and alleviation to road congestion. Gasket Goons have worked to secure offsite spectator parking and transportation from Lower Saucon Fire Rescue’s Leithsville Station to Silver Creek. Incidentally, Leithsville also hosts an outstanding annual Car Show of their own. Gasket Goons’ Hot Rod Bash will be on Saturday, September 10th at Silver Creek!
In October, Silver Creek’s teams decorated and rode a float in Springtown Volunteer Fire Company’s Halloween Parade. We were honored with the Judges Award and our Coaches, Players and Parents agreed that the parade should be a new tradition for Silver Creek A.A.
Picnic Grove and Property Rentals began booking in January and ran through December. In recent years we have had opportunity to work with many new clients such as The Foodies of Bethlehem, Safety First Private Club, the Nam Knights of the Lehigh Valley and Bikers Against Bullies.
Improvements to the facility that were completed or begun in 2021 include:
- Prioritize Additional Ash Trees to be removed throughout the property
- Replacement of SC#1’s 1st Base Dugout Roof with Rolled Rubber Roofing
- Deployment of 3 Donated Sets of Bleachers to SC#2 and SC#4
- Removal of the entrance speed bump to improve Car Show Traffic
- Restoration of SC#3, SC#4 and the facility following Hurricane Ida
- New Metal Roof for the Silver Creek Garage Built in 1972
- New Aluminum Capping for all Doors
- Upgrades for the New Training Room, Tractor Bay and Team Room
2022’s Major Volunteer and Development Events and Available Volunteer Shifts are:
- 20th Annual Father’s Day Car Show is Sunday, June 19th, 2022
- NE Regional Shelby American Automobile Club, Sunday, September 25th 2022
- Annual Spring Cornhole Tournament is Saturday, October 15th, 2022
Saturday, May 15th 2:00 pm-6:00 pm
Projects Under consideration for 2022 pending finances and volunteers:
- 2 New ½ Horsepower Garage Door Openers
- Painting the exterior of the Fieldhouse/Training Room/Team Room-Garage
- Right Hand Retaining Wall of the SC#1 Snack Stand
- Replacement of 340’ of bleachers on SC #1’s Grandstand and Rear Framing
- Painting of Grandstand, Sponsor Positions, Concrete and High Fence
- Red Stone for Space between Grandstand and High Fence on SC #1
- 6 Vinyl Windows for Picnic Grove Restrooms, 2 Vinyl Windows for Snack Stands
- Painting Restrooms and Stalls
SCAA meets the 2nd Wednesday of each month. Thank you to everyone for your hard work to make “a place for the kids and for all our families” the unique experience that is Silver Creek.
SCAA Officers, Trustees and Coaches
Silver Creek Athletic Association
2943 Route 212 GPS: Please use Hellertown, PA 18055
P.O. Box 165 email@example.com
Springtown, PA 18081 www.silvercreekathleticassociation.com